Winter Fuel Payments

Last updated on 9 Dec 2013

What is the The Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is a tax free payment to help older people keep warm during winter. It is provided by the government to those who are eligible.

Am I eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment?

If you were born on or before 5 January 1952 you may qualify. It’s not means tested and you can get it if you’re still working or claiming a benefit. If you were born after 5 January 1952, find out when you’ll qualify for Winter Fuel Payment on the GOV.UK website

How much may I receive?

The amount of Winter Fuel Payment you can get each winter can vary according to your personal situation. The amount of Winter Fuel Payment has changed so the amount you get for this winter may be different to last winter. To find out how much you will get, visit the GOV.UK website

When will I receive my payment?

Most payments are made between November and December. You will receive a notification letter and this will give you a more specific estimated payment date. Due to how payments are made, you could receive your payment at a different time to someone in your household or living near you. If you have not received your payment by January, or you have any other queries, contact the Winter Fuel Payment Team.

What can I do if I haven't claim my winter fuel payment previously?

If you haven't claimed your winter fuel payment in previous years you may still be able to claim this money. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information

Where can I get benefits advice?

You can talk to someone the benefits you may be entitled to at an independent advice service such as

As an older person, finding out which benefits you may be entitled to, and the impact they may have on other benefits, is not always straightforward. There is a huge amount of information available about benefits, but this can be overwhelming or confusing. We would always advise you to seek advice from an independent advice service, who will be able to look at your individual situation and guide you through the applications process.

Other Useful Information

  • The Simple Payment Service Cheques will no longer be used to pay state benefits and Pension credit from Autumn 2012. Please visit the Simple Payment Service article on Information Now for more details on the new payment option for those unable to use bank accounts.

Return to top of page

Share this article

Email to a friend
Print this article
Save as PDF